Few days before, I had an opportunity to visit 4 states of North East India, I was happy and was feeling relaxed in journey to witness the beauty of North East.
I reached Imphal, Manipur and rushed to via Mehgalaya to Tripura for two days. It was immense pleasure to watch the beauty of nature and vast natural resources. During the journey I was in thought that, why state and authorities mishandling the natural resources which can improve the digits of GDP. The politics of so-called leaders, uneducated people and lack of connectivity of North East people to mainstream India are few reasons.
Before coming back to Delhi, I was in Assam for 4 days visited Tezpur, Badarpur and Guwahati. In Tezpur I met with students, activists, and common people in a public gathering. An young man came to me with lots of smile, greeted me and hugged me like I know him from before. I too gave him my introduction, he took me aside, he took both of my hands in his hand and said, “Bhai sahib hamarey liye kuch karo, Kuch din baad hamara kya hoga Khuda hi janey” [Do something for us, what will happen to us after few days God Knows]
Till then I was aware of NRC (National Register of Citizen) issue of Assam, after listening the helpless voice and grave concern of that young person, I started enquiring about the NRC and D-Voters (Doubt Full voters) issues with other people. Most of the people was helpless, a person of 60+ years said, we are in very good condition here, the people who are living in detention camps there condition is worst than this…
Why Assamees are in danger..?
- Assam is state with 32 million populations and one third is Muslims.
- According to authorities, 4.8 million people in Assam “have failed to provide appropriate legacy documents” in advance of the preliminary list’s – the second time such a list is being published, the first being released earlier in 2018.
- BJP who came to power in Assam in 2016 is threatening people to expel their names are not registered in NRC list.
- “All those whose names do not figure in the NRC will have to be deported,” Himanta Biswa Sarma (Finance and health minister, Assam). Hindu people of Bangladeshi origin will be allowed to stay in India, he added. (News of March 2018)
- The matter is in Indias top court, and SC ordered to final list to be presented on 30 June 2018. Earlier in February the government requested SC for extension of date, saying it was “impossible” to meet that deadline. But the SC turned down the request, and said; government’s job was “to make possible the impossible”.
- During the discussion with people and activists, I came across few example.
- One Muslim family head said, my family is here in this village since 1942, if my name is not in list then should I go to Bangladesh now..?
- Another daily wage earner, head of Hindu family said my grandfather came here in 1930’s according, if my name is not in list it will be a disaster to entire family.
- SC ordered to enroll the people by checking their documents in given frame of time, but local officers are not accepting the produced documents making silly reasons.
- People who are educated are enrolling with hook and cook but illiterate are suffering a lot.
- If anyone’s name is Azizur in certificates and it is printed in Azizul in government documents, they officers rejecting it knowingly.
- There are many such examples and concerns of people of Assam.
Will Assam be Episode – II like Rohingya…? Question to be answered and voices to be raised to aware the masses.
If government is successful in making citizens of India (Assam) as second class citizens then they will follow same in rest of India with selective approach with selective community.