TDN World: The February Delhi riots that broke out during the pick-hour of anti-CAA movements was “planned and targeted”, says Delhi Minorities Commision’s (DMC) fact finding report.
According to the report prepared by DMC, Muslims women have been key targets of the rioters’ attack. Muslim holy places of worships were particularly vandalized, torched as a part of scheme. 11 mosques, five madrasas, one shrine and one graveyard were attacked and damaged in the violence. In many places copies of the Qur’an were deliberately burned.
Some important Findings of the Report by the Delhi Minorities Commission on Delhi violence:
1) The violence in North East Delhi happened in an ‘organised and systematic pattern’. Muslim individuals as well as houses, shops, mosques and other properties belonging to Muslims were selectively attacked.
2) The violence was not ‘spontaneous’ like a riot. Rather it was ‘planned and targeted’.
3)Violence broke out shortly after Kapil Mishra’s speech on 23 February 2020 at Maujpur in which he openly called for forcefully removing the protestors at Jafrabad in North East Delhi. These threats were made in the presence of Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr.Ved Prakash Surya.
4) Muslim women particularly were targeted on the basis of their identity. Many women reported how in addition to physical violence their hijab and burqa were pulled off, and communal taunts and slurs were hurled at them.
5) Muslim places of worship including 11 mosques, five madrasas, one shrine and one graveyard that were attacked and damaged in the violence. In many places copies of the Qur’an were deliberately burned.
6) Police officers were mostly ‘mute spectators’ to the violence. Some victims recalled that police officers specifically refused to help saying there were ‘no orders from above’.
7) Police officers are reported to have directly engaged in the violence in some places, and victims also reported instances where police encouraged or enabled rioters.
8) Police delayed filing of FIRs, and where field they were not acted upon. Many victims reported that police officers refused to register complaints that named the accused. In some cases police have even arrested the victims themselves.