Staff Reporter| TDN World
New Delhi – Almost one month has elapsed since Sharjeel Usmani has been detained in Aligarh jail. Demanding his immediate and unconditional release, 41 Prominent personalities including social and student activists from all walks of life across the country have issued a joint statement.
Remarking over the arrest of ex-AMU students’ activist Sharjeel Usmani, the joint statement said, ” We (the undersigned), strongly believe that the arrest of Sharjeel Usmani is a part of the continuous arrests of leaders related with the Anti CAA movement.”
While demanding the immediate and unconditional release of all the political prisoners, the statement further reads,”By targeting especially Student Activists in Aligarh Muslim University and Jamia Millia Islamia, the ruling regime tries hard to suppress the young activists.”
Here follows the Joint Statement:
It has been more than one month since Sharjeel Usmani, National secretary of Fraternity Movement and Anti-CAA Activist imprisoned in Aligarh Jail. He was arrested by the Uttar Pradesh Police from his house in Azamgarh on 8th July 2020. On that day, 5 people claimed to be from the Crime Branch detained him without an arrest warrant or memo and his books and laptop were also seized. Currently Usmani’s name is allegedly mentioned in 5 FIRs related to the Police-Paramilitary Violence in Aligarh Muslim University on 15th December 2019.
Sharjeel Usmani has been leading protests against the discriminatory Citizenship Amendment Act from the forefront in campuses as well as streets. He is one of the student activists who led the anti-CAA movement in Aligarh Muslim University, which has become an inspiration to the countrywide protests. He is vocal against Islamophobia in India and has been writing opinion articles in reputed portals and engaging in documenting anti-Muslim attacks.
We the undersigned, strongly believe that the arrest of Sharjeel Usmani is a part of the continuous arrests of leaders related with the Anti CAA movement. By targeting especially Student Activists in Aligarh Muslim University and Jamia Millia Islamia, the ruling regime tries hard to suppress the young activists. We demand immediate and unconditional release of Sharjeel Usmani and all other political prisoners.
- Ansar Aboobakar, President, Fraternity Movement.
- Dhaya Neppolean, State Joint Secretary, Radical Students’ Forum (VCK) – Tamilnadu.
- Kawalpreet Kaur, State President, AISA- Delhi
- Labeed Shafi, President, Students’ Islamic Organization of India
- M S Sajid, President, Campus Front of India
- Mozaherul Islam, President, Bihar Youth Organization- Bihar
- Nadeem Khan, United Against Hate
- Nahas Mala, President, Solidarity Youth Movement- Kerala.
- Sohini Shoaib, Jan Jagran Shakti Sangathan- Bihar.
- T A Kishore, State President, Cherama Sambava Youth Federation (CSYF)- Kerala
- T.P Ashrafali, President, Muslim Students’ Federation
- Asad Ashraf, Karvaan India.
- Aslah Kayyalakath, Editor, Maktoob
- Moktar Hossain Mondal, Writer
- Raees Muhammad, Dalit Camera
- Bhatta Ram, Former President, Tata Institute of Social Science SU
- Intekhab Alam, Vice-President, Maulana Azad National Urdu University SU.
- M Salman Imtiaz, Outgoing President, Aligarh Muslim University SU
- Samar Ali, General Secretary, English and Foreign Language University SU.
- Umar Faruq Quadri, President, Maulana Azad National Urdu University SU.
- Akshay Sawant, Coordinator, Ambedkara Periyar Phule Study Circle (APPSC), IIT Bombay
- Hiba bint Karim, Ambedkar Students’ Association, Pondicherry University.
- Iniyavan Banumathi, President, Ambedkar Students Association, HCU
- Jitendra Suna, Birsa Ambedkar Phule Students’ Association, JNU
- Muhammad Nihad PV, AMU Students Collective,
- Parimala, Forum for IT Employees (FITE)- Tamil Nadu
- Shashi Kumar, Convener, Bahujan Students Front, HCU
- Abdul Matin, Jadhavpur University- Kolkata
- Adv Syed Ghiyaduddin, student activist, Usmania University
- Ben J Anthrayose, Artist, Research Scholar, EFLU
- Kaleem Siddique, Social Activist, Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Ladeeda Farzana, Student Activist, Jamia Millia Islamia
- Nabiya Khan, Poet, Student Activist
- Raniya Zulaikha, Student Activist, Delhi University
- Shahid Lone, Writer, Research Scholar, Jamia Millia Islamia
- Shefali Saini, Research Scholar, TISS Mumbai.
- Shrutheesh Kannadi, Research Scholar, Pondicherry University
- Tejaswini Tabhane, Student Activist, Delhi University
- Adivasi Students’ Forum, TISS
- Dayar i Shouq Students Charter, Jamia Millia Islamia
- Democratic Students’ Union, JNU